Italian House Salad
4 cups Italian bread, cubed
2 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 TSP salt
1/4 cup red-wine vinegar
2 TSP Dijon mustard
2 TBSP shallot, finely chopped
1 TSP honey
1/4 TSP salt
1/4 TSP black pepper
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or diced
1 cup bocconcini mozzarella cheese (or shredded mozzarella)
2 hearts romaine lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
1 jar roasted red peppers, rinsed, drained and cut into strips
1 cup assorted brine-cured olives
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2. Toss bread cubes in oil and salt, and spread in a shallow baking pan.
- 3. Bake about 8 minutes, turning once. Cool.
- 4. Whisk together all vinaigrette ingredients, except oil. Add oil in a steady stream, whisking to emulsify.
- 5. Toss chicken and mozzarella in 1/4 of the vinaigrette, allowing to marinate for 10 minutes.
- 6. Toss romaine, peppers, olive, chicken, bocconcini, croutons and remaining vinaigrette.
Asian Mint and Chicken Salad
1 1/2 TBSP vegetable oil
1 1/2 TBSP rice vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 TBSP white sugar
1 jalapeño minced and seeded
1/2 onion, sliced thin
juice of 1/2 lime
1/2 head of cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, shredded
3/4 cup of chopped fresh mint
1/2 cup of cooked chicken, chopped 1. Mix dressing ingredients.
2. Combine salad ingredients, and toss with dressing.
Cashew and Avocado Chicken Sandwiches
4 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, shredded or chopped
1/3 cup Ranch dressing
1 1/2 TBSP fresh dill
1 cup cashews
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
sliced Swiss cheese
whole wheat bread or buns
1. Mix chicken, dressing, dill, cashews, and avocado. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and chill at least 30 minutes.
2. Assemble sandwiches with mixture, bacon and cheese
Asian-Inspired Chicken Noodle Soup
1 TBSP cooking oil
1 TBSP sesame oil
I onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, sliced
4 cloves garlic, smashed
1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, cut thinly
2 TBSP chili powder (optional)
1/8 TSP chili flakes
1 1/2 quarts canned, crushed tomatoes
1 1/2 pounds, boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 TBSP Asian fish sauce (optional)
1 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
1 3/4 TSP salt
1/2 pound cooked spaghettini
1/2 head bok choy, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
1/4 cup lime juice
- 1. In a large pot, heat both oils over medium heat. Add onion, celery, garlic, ginger, chili, and red pepper flakes. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Add the broth, tomatoes, chicken, fish sauce, salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover and simmer till the chicken is just done, around 15 minutes.
- 3. Remove the chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces and set aside. Cook liquid for 15 minutes longer.
- 4. Add spaghettini, chicken and bok choy to broth. Cook about a minute, add cilantro and serve.
Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
2 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3 1/2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
2 TBSP dry mustard
1 TBSP sweet paprika
2 TSP kosher salt
1 TSP ground black pepper
1/2 TSP cayenne pepper
1 2-3 pound chicken, roasted
4 hamburger buns
1 cup prepared coleslaw
- 1. Combine cider vinegar, water, wine, vegetable oil, Worcestershire sauce, dry mustard, sweet paprika, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a medium saucepan and boil till reduced to about 1 1/4 cups, around 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 2. Remove all meat from the chicken, and shred (don’t include the skin.) Add the chicken to the sauce and heat through, stirring gently. Pile mixture on buns and top with coleslaw.
Tomato and Chicken Pockets
2 tbsp olive oil
1 chicken breast, cut into strips
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 TSP balsamic vinegar
1/4 TSP dried oregano salt and pepper to taste
6 small cherry tomatoes, quartered
2 tomatoes, diced
3 fresh basil leaves, chopped
2 whole-wheat pitas
low-fat mayonnaise to taste
- 1. Heat the oil in a pan and sauté the chicken, onion and garlic till softened.
- 2. Add balsamic vinegar, and oregano.
- 3. Mix tomatoes, basil, a drizzle of olive oil and the pepper.
- 4. Cut the pita in half, and spread with mayo. Add lettuce.
- 5. Divide chicken and tomato mixtures between the pitas.