Phyllo Chicken Rolls
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 TSP salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1 1/4 lb chicken thighs (with skin and bones)
3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted, cooled, and coarsely chopped
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted
8 (17- by 12-inch) phyllo sheets, thawed if frozen
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Sauté onion in a large saucepan with salt, cumin, ginger, turmeric, pepper, and coriander, stirring, til softened. Add chicken, broth, and water, and simmer, covered, until meat is tender, approximately 45 minutes. Place chicken in a bowl, reserving cooking liquid.
2. When cool, shred chicken, removing skin and bones. Simmer cooking liquid over moderately high heat, uncovered, til reduced to about 1/4 cup, then pour into shredded chicken along with almonds.
3. Season egg with salt and pepper, and cook in 1/2 tablespoon butter in a small skillet until set but still soft. Stir scrambled egg into filling.
4. Preheat oven to 450°F. Place 1 phyllo sheet on a clean, dry surface, and brush generously with some melted butter, covering remaining phyllo with a damp kitchen towel. Evenly sift 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon over buttered phyllo, then top with another phyllo sheet and brush with butter.
5. Halve buttered phyllo stack crosswise, then arrange 1 half with long side nearest you. Spread 1/4 cup chicken filling in a narrow strip along edge nearest you, then roll tightly, leaving ends open. Transfer roll, seam side down, to a cutting board. Make another roll with remaining half stack. Make 6 more rolls in same manner, transferring to cutting board.
6. Cut each roll crosswise into 4 pieces and arrange pieces on 2 baking sheets. Bake, until phyllo is golden brown, about 12 minutes.